Little Makalolo lies in the heart of one of the best game viewing areas in Hwange National Park. Overlooking a vibrant waterhole, it offers privacy for guests who enjoy small camps and a sense of remoteness. The camp’s six traditional-style tents – including a family unit – are spacious and en-suite, with indoor and outdoor showers. Solar power is used for tent lights and to heat water, ensuring a lighter environmental footprint.
Linking the tents to the main area are teak walkways. Here a false mopane tree in the centre of the camp shades a separate dining and living area, with an open fire deck for those convivial evening fireside tales under the stars. The plunge pool is a fantastic addition especially for those hot summer days. The log-pile hide at the waterhole in front of camp offers thrilling game viewing to literally a Noah’s Ark parade of animals as they come down to quench their thirst.
- Our private concessions allow for exciting game drives and walking safaris without the crowds
- Impressive herds of buffalo and elephant are often attracted to the many waterholes in the area, especially in winter
- Spend a night star gazing from our romantic Star Bed
Some things to do at Little Makalolo Camp
First time to Africa
- Take a game drive in open 4X4 vehicles to see the predators of Hwange.
- Visit Ngamo village near Hwange.
- Spend time in the log-pile hide in front of camp and let big elephant feet fill your whole view.
Travelled to Africa
- Ask your safari guide for an early morning guided walk just as the bush awakes.
- Search for roan and sable – antelope specialists of Hwange.
- Chat to Arnold, our Environmentalist, when he’s in camp about all the conservation projects in the area.
- Meet the children of Ngamo School and marvel at their Eco-Club projects.
- Look out for an Arnot’s chat, Dickinson’s kestrel or Bradfield’s hornbill.
- Learn more about the Hwange Water Supply Project that ensures that the animals have water in the dry season.