Located on a tree island in the centre of the breathtaking Busanga Plains is stylish Shumba Camp. Its six luxury tented units are spacious, en-suite with both indoor and outdoor showers, and all raised on wooden platforms with spectacular views of the surrounding plains.
The bar and dining area is shaded by spectacular fig trees and boasts magnificent vistas over the open wildlife-rich plains. Dinner takes place either on the deck or in the cosy boma, along with a little Zambian culture while the camp’s main deck is a perfect place to star gaze or relax after your evening meal. The area is a magnet for a wealth of plains game, followed by lion, wild dog and cheetah.
- Meaning ‘lion’, Shumba is aptly named after the prides of lion seen in the area
- The Plains are home to hundreds of red lechwe, puku, roan and oribi
- Sail over the Plains in a hot air balloon – the most exclusive wildlife ballooning in Africa
Some things to do at Shumba Camp
First time to Africa
- Drive across the plains to catch sight of the famous lion prides of Busanga.
- Exciting game drives on the Busanga Plains which teem with diverse wildlife.
- Spot puku, lechwe and perhaps the ‘local’ rare roan herd on a hot air balloon safari.
Travelled to Africa
- Enjoy local Zambian hospitality whilst viewing game from the camp’s raised decks.
- Explore the Busanga Plains’ nocturnal species on interpretive night game drives.
- Float through the channels at the beginning of the season when the floodplains are still filled with water.
- Experience a unique birding safari to catch sight of some of Kafue’s 491 bird species.
- View comparative antelope rarities like roan, oribi, sitatunga and Lichtenstein’s hartebeest.
- Sip Zambian coffee while watching hundreds of antelope grazing on the plains.