Busanga Bush Camp lies in the heart of the Busanga Plains, a vast mosaic of expansive grassy seasonal floodplains that extend to the horizon. When the mist rises off the floodplains as they dry up in winter, incredible sunrises and sunsets are experienced here, while the floodplains and dambos teem with wildlife and birds.
Hidden on a tree-island of sycamore fig trees, the camp has four well-appointed en-suite tents each with a veranda to take in the sweeping views. The lounge and bar area is under canvas with an uninterrupted view out over the plains. A little further back is the dining area, shaded by the canopy of a majestic tree from which an unusual lantern chandelier hangs, romantically lighting up dinner; most meals are served in the open air.
- The Busanga Plains provide some of the best lion viewing in Africa
- Hot air balloon rides over endless plains, with hippo and dashing lechwe to be seen far below
- At certain times, the rising mist over the floodplains creates spectacular photographic opportunities
Some things to do at Busanga Bush Camp
First time to Africa
- Drive across the plains to catch sight of the famous lion prides of Busanga.
- A hot air balloon ride as the sun rises – ending with a champagne breakfast!
- Enjoy both day and night game drives in open vehicles to see a host of wildlife.
Travelled to Africa
- Appreciate the sight of the ‘local’ roan herd – in many other places a very uncommon species.
- Take in the night skies – and the night creatures – on a night drive.
- Enjoy breakfast in the front of camp with its constant views of herds of lechwe and puku feeding.
- Catch sight of some of Kafue’s 491 bird species at the bird hide at Hippo Pools.
- At the beginning of the season, boat through the still-full channels.
- View comparative antelope rarities like roan, oribi, sitatunga and Lichtenstein’s hartebeest.