Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp is scenically located in a broad valley at the confluence of two tributaries of the Hoanib River in the northern part of the private Palmwag Concession. Its location thus straddles the Palmwag area and the iconic Skeleton Coast National Park, in one of the most remote areas of the Kaokoveld.
Exclusivity is taken a step further as camp is only accessible by light aircraft and the camp itself consists of only seven twin-bedded tents and one family unit, each comprising stylish en-suite bedrooms with shaded outdoors decks. Flanked to the east and west by rugged hills, the camp looks out over stunning, starkly beautiful scenery and offers guests all the luxuries and amenities for an unforgettable stay.
- Vast, remote, isolated wilderness offering excellent viewing of Namibia’s distinctive desert-adapted wildlife
- Diverse activities showcase spectacular scenery, unexpected oases and enormous sand dunes
- Scenic flights to the Skeleton Coast (weather permitting) reveal seals, shipwreck remains and an endless dramatic coastline
Some things to do at Hoanib Skeleton Coast
First time to Africa
- Explore the Hoanib Riverbed and seek out desert-adapted elephant, giraffe, gemsbok and springbok.
- Take a scenic flight to the Skeleton Coast (weather permitting) with its stark shores and lonely shipwreck remains.
- Have lunch looking out over Hoanib’s spectacular moon-like landscape.
Travelled to Africa
- Go in search of some our more elusive predators, such as the shaggy brown hyaena, opportunistic black-backed jackal or maybe even lion.
- Unravel the enigmatic history of the original Strandlopers (Beachcombers), their stone circles lying in hidden valleys.
- Visit the frenetic, noisy Cape fur seal colony on the rocky shoreline (weather permitting).
- Meet a Welwitschia – one of the oldest and strangest plants on the planet.
- Drive south into the gravel plains to Mudorib Spring which can attract fascinating wildlife.
- When a researcher is in camp, find out about the latest lion research happening in the area.