Kalahari Plains Camp is set in a remote part of the diverse and productive Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR) and offers some of the best summer wildlife viewing opportunities in Africa. Located in the Kalahari Desert biome in the central part of Botswana, this reserve is the largest conservation area in the country and one of the largest in the world. Its star attractions include the legendary Kalahari black-maned lion as well as some of the world’s best cheetah viewing.
Kalahari Plains Camp is perfectly situated overlooking an immense pan with endless horizons and beautiful skies. It comprises nine en-suite canvas units with a sleep-out above each from which to enjoy moonlit or star-studded nights. The main area consists of a lounge and dining area with a swimming pool and deck. Solar power provides all the electricity and hot water in the camp and insulated canvas walls and roof keep temperatures inside the units comfortable.
- Fascinating cultural experiences allow for an authentic insight into the ancient Bushman clans of the area
- Diverse game includes carnivores, wildebeest, red hartebeest and springbok as well honey badger and mongoose
- Combine with the Delta for a comprehensive Botswana experience
Some things to do at Kalahari Plains Camp
First time to Africa
- Hop on a 4×4 vehicle and search out the legendary black-maned lion or the cheetah in the area.
- Immerse yourself in the culture of the San Bushman people with an interpretive “Bushman walk.”
- Spend a romantic night sleeping out on your roof, under the star-studded African skies.
Travelled to Africa
- Venture further afield to the deceiving mirage of the pan and diverse wildlife at Deception Valley.
- Watch the teeming antelope grazing, perhaps shadowed by a hungry cheetah or even a leopard.*
- Watch out for the smaller, yet fascinating creatures of the Central Kalahari.
- Take in the visitors at the pan in front of camp, from herds of gemsbok to journeys of giraffe.
- Watch the fascinating courtship display of the kori bustard.
- Gaze up at the incredible night sky and let your guide fascinate you with his astro-knowledge.